10.03.2010

Logo-Typography

I admit it. I'm a regular at Dunkin' Donuts. And I love their updated marketing look.  I went on their website to find an image of a shirt they sell because it's a good example of distressed typography, but couldn't find a clear image.  Instead of moving on, I was sidetracked and ended up on their parent company site.  And there I found a really cool logotype.
Some points about this:
  • Notice the  "U".  It's lowered, giving the "dunking" appearance.  And it's brown, which reminds me of a doughnut. Dunking doughnut.  I'm assuming that was the design intention, and I find it simply brilliant. 
  • The logo colors tie right into what made Dunkin Donuts famous. Coffee and doughnuts.  Great idea. 
  • The lowered "U" draws the eye to the "eatdrinkthink" portion, but not too much.  You still noticed the main part first. 
Overall, I think this logo works perfectly for the parent company and what their industry is. I think whoever had been designing the logos for this company is doing a great job.  It's creative, but not complicated. 

3 comments:

  1. The playful feel that the Dunkin' Donuts logo-type has makes it creative and very appropriate for the brand that it represents. I love how you found a logo that you see in everyday life and drew attention to it's unique typeface that distinguishes the brand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    I don't have a dunkin donuts nearby and didn't know they are changing their logo. I really like the new one. Like you said, the lowered U reminds me of a donut someone already took a bite out of, turned it around and now dunking it on the other side. Great improvement, their old logo didn't really have that connection.

    -J. Naomi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think they are changing their logo. This is just the logo for the parent company that owns them.

    ReplyDelete